MTI Film launches DRS ™ NOVA v5
MTI Film has released DRS ™ NOVA v5, the latest version of its industry leading digital restoration software. V5 is packed with new features to make it easier to perform common restoration tasks and manage projects more efficiently, especially those that come in 4K HDR. MTI Film also introduced Shine, a revolutionary utility for DRS ™ NOVA that automates the filtering of dirt and ephemeral scratches, reducing the time required to complete these repairs by up to 70%.
“DRS ™ NOVA v5 is our biggest update in two years and represents a big step forward in digital restoration,” said Randy Reck, director of product development for MTI Film. “Restoration professionals will love the enhancements we’ve made to Paint, Deflicker, Debris, Grain and Motion tools, many of which were developed through direct user feedback.
The new Shine utility handles the most common and time-consuming restore jobs. Based on an entirely new algorithm, the tool is a marked improvement over other automated cleaning tools in the detection and repair of dirt and transient scratches. It offers an unprecedented ability to distinguish unintentional artifacts from genuine film elements, reducing the need for manual intervention.
“Shine is a powerful next generation tool,” says Reck. “This dramatically reduces the time required to complete basic cleanup tasks and, as a result, can lower overall restoration costs for many projects. “
MTI Film is offering Shine, which is still in development, free to DRS ™ NOVA v5 users for one year. It will then be available as an annual subscription.
New features in DRS ™ NOVA v5 include the ability to read, apply and write 1D and 3D display LUTs. 3D LUTs (in .CUBE format) are an important part of HDR mastering. “This feature is a big plus for HDR projects because it allows media to switch from color to restoration while maintaining color accuracy,” says Reck.
The Project Manager in DRS ™ NOVA v5 has been completely upgraded, allowing for a simpler and more intuitive user experience. Clips and subclips are easier to create, while a new properties feature provides instant access to information about individual clips.
Other improvements and new features:
- The new replacement allows users to specify RGB channels for processing.
- New brush option for debris and other repairs.
- The new Brush + function allows you to perform multiple brushstrokes on a range of images.
- Faster repairs in many modules.
- The new Mistime secondary tool replaces the Color Bump feature of the DRS tool.
- Mistime enables automated repairs based on fixing the first and last images.
- New post-grain reduction sharpening (aperture correction).
- New tool to calculate the movement of the camera. Individual shots are divided into “motion segments” and categorized into static, low, or high camera movements.
- Motion segments can be used in Stabilization-Auto mode (and soon other modules) to determine which user settings to apply.
Anout MTI Film LLC
MTI Film is a leading provider of software and services for the entertainment industry. Its software division provides revolutionary tools for critical post-production processes. They include the CORTEX product family, which offers complete solutions for daily newspaper processing, media management, deliverables and more, and DRS ™ NOVA, the industry standard for digital film restoration.
In Hollywood, MTI Film operates a full-service post-production facility, providing dailies, editorials, visual effects, color correction and stitching for film, television and commercials.
For more information, visit www.mtifilm.com.