Play ball with May’s Picayune Magazine
The May 2022 issue of Picayune magazine features 4-year-old Ivee Freeman of Burnet, who plays for the One Hit Wonders, a T-ball team based at the Highland Lakes YMCA in Galloway-Hammond in Burnet. The story speaks of the importance of sports for young people. Photo by Grace Gates/Luedecke Photography
Youth sports, the recovery of damaged history and the events of May fill the pages of the new issue of The Picayune Magazine, which hits mailboxes and is distributed to newsstands and businesses this week. Plus, a special ‘By the Numbers’ section describes what’s at stake in this month’s three (yes, THREE) elections.
Student correspondent Grace Gates, a student at Burnet High School, wrote and shot the cover story for the May 2022 issue.
“Youth sports had a big impact on me, and I thought it would be cool to hear some other stories too,” Gates told editor-in-chief Suzanne Freeman when she introduced the story for the first time. “I’ve noticed how, especially in small towns, sports play such a big role in keeping kids out of trouble and developing close friendships. It’s such a great thing for a community to have.
Gates grew up in youth sports, playing T-ball and mostly basketball. She is on the Burnet High School varsity basketball team and competes on the debate team. She also works part-time for Luedecke Photography.
A roadside historical marker near you could use some tender loving care. A young couple from Cottonwood Shores and Mac McClennahan from Victory Media share their stories of the search, discovery and restoration of road markers.
McClennahan is the morning show host of KBEY 103.9 FM Radio Picayune. It walks readers through a step-by-step restoration process for Texas Historical Commission road markers.
Nichole and Michael Ritchie call themselves history nerds. Their hobby led them to find the missing Texas Centennial Marker that once adorned a demolished roadside park just south of the US 281 bridge in Marble Falls. Find out where he was and where he’s going now in the May issue.
Festival season peaks in May and you’ll find details in the pages of The Picayune magazine, starting with a new date for Marble Falls LakeFest. The Southern Drag Boat Association kicks off its 2022 season on the shores of Lake Marble Falls May 21-22. Details are on page 8.
Also in the May issue:
- • story of Honor Flight Austin’s planned trip this fall with Highland Lakes veterans
- how a Horseshoe Bay retiree who grew up in a Chicago boxcar town became a successful businessman and father
- how to submit your own stories for possible inclusion in the pages of Picayune magazine
- the short list of events, which details the many events coming up this month
- where the magazine traveled with its readers in Where in the World is The Picayune?
- who was Out and About at the Bluebonnet Festival last month
WHERE TO FIND PICAYUNE
If you didn’t receive The Picayune Magazine in your mailbox, you can still find one at a Highland Lakes business. Thank you, Highland Lakes, for your support of The Picayune Magazine. Still free after all these years!
HORSESHOE BAY/COTTONWOOD SHORES
- La Quinta Inn, 501 FM 2147 West
- Worldmark, 755 Rocky Road (FM 2147)
- Bob’s Drive In (Exxon) on FM 2147
- Fat Monkey, 3907 FM 2147
- Julie’s Cocina, 4319 FM 2147
- Nails PK, 7405 FM 2147
- Metro, 4823 FM 2147
- 7-Eleven, 8000 FM 2147
- Horseshoe Bay Veterinary Clinic, 264072 Texas 71
- Spyke’s Bar-B-Que, 14601 RR 1431 West
- Wakepoint Convenience Store, 14757 RR 1431 West
- Satellite Station, 100 W. Chamberlain St.
- Kingsland Coffee (inside The Antlers Inn), 1001 King Ct.
- Subway, 1133 RR 1431
- Valentine Lakeside Resort, 814 Euel Moore
- Kingsland Water Supply, 1422 West Drive
- Buddies, 1621 RR 1431
- At Mr. Gatti, 3501 W RR 1431
- El Bracero, 1516 RR 1431
- Kingsland Health Mart Pharmacy, 306 RM 2900
- Downtown Square, 1910 RR 1431 West
- ACE Hardware, 2607 RR 1431 West
- Kingsland Health & Fitness, 2132 RR 1431 West
- Kingsland/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce, 1309 RR 1431
- Kingsland Hills Care Center, 3727 RR 1431 West
- Canyon des Aigles, 16942 FM 2341 in Burnet
- Delaware Springs Golf Course, 600 Delaware Springs Blvd. at Burnet
- Trailblazer’s Grille, 216 S. Main St. in Burnet
- Steadfast Ground, 134 S. Main St. in Burnet
- Burnet Chamber of Commerce, 101 N. Pierce Street, Suite 1
- Cecil Automotive, 2601 S. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet
- Highland Lakes YMCA in Galloway-Hammond, 1601 S. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet
- Ascent Seton Highland Lakes, 3201 S. Water St. (US 281) to Burnet
- Looking Good, 1001 S. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet
- Crazy Gal’s Restaurant, 414 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Reese’s Truck Parts, 610 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Hill Country Auto Glass, 1100 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- B Dogs Nutrition Spot, 102 E. Polk St. (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Bill’s Burgers, 306 W. Polk St. (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Storm’s, 700 N. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet
- Comfort Inn, 810 S. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet,
- Country Oaks Assisted Living, 407 W. Jackson St. in Burnet
- The Oaks Nursing Home, 507 W. Jackson St. in Burnet
- Quick Brakes, 16211 Texas 29 East at Buchanan Dam
- Jesse James Real Estate, 18036 Texas 29 East at Buchanan Dam
- Lake Buchanan/Inks Lake Chamber of Commerce, 19611 Texas 29 East at Buchanan Dam
- Food Mart, 2045 RR 261 at Buchanan Dam
- Lakeshore Branch Library, 7346 RR 261 at Buchanan Dam
- J&S Quick Stop, 110 Frazier in tow
- Buchanan General Store, 10240 Texas 29
- Big Chief RV Resort, 1420 FM 690
- Hoover Valley Cafe & Store on Park Road 4
- 2 Roosters RV Park, 1315 FM 1980
- Sunset Point Resort, 2322 N. Wirtz Dam Roaqd
- Cracker Barrel Grocery, 6836 RR 1431
- Rocky Top Food Mart, 6924 RR 1431 West
- Buck Convenience Store, 8201 RR 1431
MARBLE SCRAP/SPICE WOOD
- Chinese Food, 705 First St.
- Thread and Needle, 911 Ninth St.
- RE/MAX Marble Falls, 808 Ninth St.
- Marble Falls Visitor Center, 100 Avenue G
- Bear King Brewery, 207 Avenue G
- Holiday Inn, 714 Corazon Drive
- Mike’s Flooring, 1804 RR 1431 West
- Blue Bonnet Cafe, 211 US 281
- Wingman Oil Change, 2514 US 281 North
- Baylor Scott & White, 800 and 810 Texas 71
- Corona Garden, 301 Main Street.
- Red Box Newsstand in Old Oak Square on Main Street
- Main Street Consignment, 216 Main Street.
- Gateway Villa, 601 Steve Hawkins Parkway
- Hampton Inn, 704 First St.
- Marble Falls/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce, 916 Second St.
- Birdie’s Antiques, 706 Third St.
- Choccolatte’s, 807 Third St.
- Rae’s R-Bar Grill, 904 Third St.
- Zina & Co. Real Estate, 614 Seventh St.
- Dale Brown Properties, 206 Avenue H
- Claremont, 800 Claremont
- Poole Eye Associates, 10008 Falls Parkway
- Gateway Gardens, 605 Gateway Central
- Highland Lakes Veterinary Clinic, 1110 RR 1431
- Chez Marguerite, 1205 RR 1431
- Unleashed, 1110 RR 1431
- Lone Star Capitol Bank, 1001 RR 1431
- Numinous Roasters, 175 RR 1431
- Doc’s Fish Camp & Grill, 900 RR 1431 West in US 281
- Kwik Chek #52, 1003 RR 1431 West
- CK Medical Spa, 1712 RR 1431 West
- Pottery Ranch, 6000 US 281
- Kwik Check #53, 1301 US 281
- Wingman Grill, 2407 US 281
- Thyme Coffee Tea, 2108 US 281
- Hill Country Inn, 1101 USA 281
- Marble Falls Athletic Club, 2312 USA 281
- Texas Credit, 1514 US 281
- Quality Inn, 1206 US 281 North
- Wingman Car Wash, 2605 US 281 North
- Best Western, 1403 USA 281 North
- Arbor House, 1801 King Road
- Title of Service, 117 Main Street
- Marble Falls Florist, 214 Main St.
- Redid, 209 Main St.
- Highland Lakes Art Guild, 318 Main St.
- Granite Mesa, 1401 Max Copeland Drive
- Hill Country Nutrition, 1405 Mormon Mill
- Motel 6, 1400 Ollie Lane
- Louisiana Crab Shack, 602 Steve Hawkins Parkway
- Opie’s, 9504 Texas 71 East in Spicewood
- Spicewood General Store, 9418 Texas 71 East in Spicewood
ROUND MOUNTAIN/JOHNSON CITY
- Old Olie’s Outside, 10541 US 281 North
- Big’s (Valero), 10541 US 281
- Whittington, 602 US 281 South
- El Agave, 408 US 281 North
- Lone Star Capital Bank, 403 US 281 South
- Best Western, 107 USA 281 South
- Fat Boy’s Burgers, 104 US 281 South
- Hill Country Wardrobe, 101 US 281
- JC Liquors, 100 US 281 South
- Johnson Public Library, 501 Nugent Ave.
- Johnson City Chamber of Commerce, 100 E. Main St.
- Pecan Street Brewery, 106 E. Pecan Drive
- Harvest House, 506 N. Nugent
- Stripes, 901 Bessemer Avenue.
- Stripes, 200 Texas 71
- Llano Chamber of Commerce, 100 Train Station Drive
- Fuel Coffee House, 106 E. Main St.
- Stonewall Pizza, 109 W. Main St.
- LanTex Theater, 113 W. Main St.
- Jesse James Real Estate, 500 W. Young St.
- Cooper’s BBQ, 604 W. Young St.
- Robinson Llano City RV Park, 101 Robinson Park Drive