Trio of Selected Academic All-Americans – University of Oregon Athletics
EUGENE, Oregon – The outstanding trio of the Ducks Carmela Cardama Baez, James West and Max Vollmer have secured places on the 2019-2020 Academic Track and Field and Cross Country Teams across America, as voted by the Directors of University Sports Information of America (CoSIDA).
The three Academic All-America certificates combine the highest number of UO recipients in one year for the program. Dating back to the 2000 season, the Ducks have had at least one Academic All-American in 20 of the past 21 years. Cardama Baez and West are part of the first team while Vollmer has won the accolades of the second team.
Carmela Cardama Baez (3.82 / Psychology)
- First North American Academic Team 2019-2020
- Six times All-American including two times in cross-country
- 2019 NCAA Championships Finalist at 10,000 meters
- 2020 MPSF Champion (DMR / anchor) in 10: 59.39, the 9th time in UO history
- School record holder in the 5,000-meter (15: 25.41, indoor)
- Ranked in Oregon’s top 10 over 3,000 meters, 5,000 meters (o) and 10,000 meters
Max Vollmer (3.83 / Business administration)
- North American Academic Team 2019-2020
- All-American twice; finished fifth (decathlon) at the 2019 NCAA Championships
- 2019 Pac-12 (decathlon) champion with 7,964 points, the # 6 score in UO history
- 2020 MPSF Champion (heptathlon) with 5,834 points, the # 3 score in UO history
- Qualified for the 2020 NCAA Indoor Championships in Heptathlon
James West (3.64 / Public administration, grad.)
- 2019-20 All-America Academic Team
- Seven times All-American including three certificates in the 2020 indoor season
- USTFCCCA West Region Indoor Track Athlete of the Year 2020
- First leg of Oregon’s DMR collegiate record (9: 24.52) in January 2020
- Run the fastest 1,500m indoor in collegiate history (3: 36.93) in February 2020
- Ranked in Oregon’s top 10 over 1,500 yards, mile and 3,000 meters
With Thursday’s announcement, the program now has 37 Academic All-Americans in its history with this list comprising 56 Academic All-America certificates.
All three of the Ducks’ caps also earned All-America status on the track as NCAA indoor championship qualifiers last March. They, with Rhesa foster, were also university artists from all districts.
Despite the cancellation of the spring schedule during COVID-19, CoSIDA continued its sponsorship of the Academic All-America awards program. This year, the student-athletes were selected based on their professional achievements.
Vollmer is also one of six UO athletics student-athletes to be on the UO Dean’s List for the final spring term. To be eligible, a student must be an admitted undergraduate student and complete at least 15 credits for the term with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.75, and at least 12 of those credits must be taken for grades in letters.
UO Spring 2020 Dean’s List
Additional academic honors include members of the Pac-12 Spring Academic Honor Roll which was announced in early June. The list included 22 representatives from Oregon athletics. For consideration, student-athletes must have maintained a GPA of 3.3 during their sport’s season and have resided at least one year at their respective institution.
Pac-12 Spring Academic Honor Roll
Men’s athletics: Derek akey, Travis Brewster Jr., Pierce LaCoste, Max Lydum, Max Vollmer, James West, Jack Yearian
Female athletics: Jojo Ananouko, Isabelle Brauer, Iman brown, Carmela Cardama Baez, Taylor chiotti, Brianna duncan, Rhesa foster, Amanda gehrich, Ashlyn Hare, Caramia Mestler, Kiana phelps, Weronika Pyzik, Alexis Rigmaiden, Emily sloan, Rachel Vinjamuri
For more Oregon athletics news and information, follow @OregonTF on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.